Mass MSA to ST Disk Format Converter

slippyvex

Mass MSA to ST Disk Format Converter

Unread post by slippyvex »

Hi folks,

Just recently I bought myself a MiSTer FPGA and I already love it ... Now, my background is in the Atari ST demoscene back in the 90s and I desperately wanted to ramp up my MiSTer with all my disk collections I collected over time here. I was a bit sad when I figured that the Atari ST emulator does not support MSA files. Unfortunately the majority of my huuuge collection is in that format. I'm a software developer by heart and quickly decided to write myself a tool which would convert all my images to the supported ST format ... which I did ... and it works like a charm.

I wanted to share that with you ... Here's the link to my tool. https://github.com/slippyex/msa-to-st-c ... ree/v1.0.0

Usage is pretty easy. You provide a source directory structure and a target directory (which doesn't need to exist yet). My tool traverses through all sub-directories and as soon as it finds a MSA image, it creates an ST one in the provided target directory, preserving its original directory structures in the target.

Enjoy!

kathleen
Top Contributor

Re: Mass MSA to ST Disk Format Converter

Unread post by kathleen »

Thank you @slippyvex,
I do have also a collection of MSA image disks that I wanted to run on my Mister, but I never did it due to the time it takes to convert them one by one with thé existing tool.
What you did and shared is amazing !
Cannot wait to try it.
Thanks again for your geat work@

かすりん

Syntax Error

Unread post by Syntax Error »

yea a thread , i mean a script for the scripts folder that has a download list of existing converters which allow you to convert files on the mister itself would be great too if someone with enough savvy could handle that

• another one i used so far : viewtopic.php?t=165&start=90 dim288.py , seems to work tho i havent tested it on all sharp .dim (tosec) files around the internet
slippyvex

Unread post by slippyvex »

Quick update here ... I just released version 1.5 of the tool ... I added a simple GUI which allows to select a source- and target directory. Besides that the cli functionality is preserved. Means, when you call the tool with two arguments (source and target), it works on the console and when you just start the exe, it opens up the GUI for you.

Here's the link to the windows executable. https://github.com/slippyex/msa-to-st-c ... tag/v1.5.0

Keep an eye on the repository ... I'll probably add linux executables as well soon.